132 – Spriggs Squared
This week the WELSTech podcast welcomes two Mac-friendly guests as we explore the use of Macs in ministry.
Podcast: Download (47.5MB)
Inside Apple – The Spriggs boys are taking over! Listen as Martin’s son, Aaron Spriggs, our WELSTech resident Apple store guy, shares his insight into the popularity of Mac products.
(14:25) Macs in Ministry – Pastor Steve Bauer from Faith in West Newton, PA joins Martin and Sallie to discuss his use of Mac-based Bible software, Accordance, as well as some other Mac favorites of his.
- Pastor Bauer’s Accordance resources
- Accordance for Windows – Scroll down and look for the “emulator”
- Free Trial
- Video Tutorials
- Pastor Bauer’s LaTeX resources
- Omni Outliner 3
- Greek Font Society
News in tech:
- (38:58) Office 2010 launch
- Software updates:
- Photoshop CS5
- Snagit 10 (Aaron recommends Snapz Pro X for screen capture on the Mac)
Picks of the week:
- (44:51) Things – Mac Task Management
- YouVersion iPhone app | iPad HD app
- (54:25) Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary Graduation and Call Day – If you can’t be there in person, plan to tune in to the special services via live video stream – wels.net/streams/live.
- Graduate Assignments – Thursday, May 20 at 10:00 a.m.
- Graduation Concert – Thursday, May 20 at 7:00 p.m.
- Graduation – Friday, May 21 at 10:00 a.m.
- FinalWeb Training in Milwaukee, WI and New Ulm, MN
- FinalWeb for Teachers – July 19 – bit.ly/fw4teachers
- FinalWeb for Dummies – July 20-22- bit.ly/fw4dummies
- (56:35) Following up on last week’s Web Design discussion, Aaron recommends Squarespace for online site development. Check out The Point of Grace site which he developed on the platform. Also Perry Lund, webmaster at Grace in Oskaloosa, IA, shared some of his favorite Joomla plug-in links:
- SMSStorage is Perry’s recommendation for a Mac cloud drive.
- From the WELSTech group on Diigo we learned of …
- Gail Potratz suggested our summer WELSTech Road Trip include a stop with someone using Google Apps in a ministry setting. Contact us if you have other suggestions of topics you would like to know more about.
Coming up on WELSTech:
(1:04:52) Episode 133 – What belongs on a great classroom web site? Gail Potratz joins us for this education-focused discussion. (Release date 05/26/10)
The featured artist:
(1:06:16) We close the podcast with the music of Dawn Gehlhar – Amazing Grace from her CD titled “Inspirations”
- Add a comment below
- Send us an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Use the del.icio.us tag welstech
- Use the diigo tag welstech
- Join the WELSTech community:
I like http://www.toodledo.com/ for task management on multiple platforms.
SMEStorage is actually a management solution for all your cloud storage including Google Docs, SkyDrive, MobileMe, etc… The software allows you to have a mountable icon on the Macintosh desktop that will give you folder level access to all your cloud storage in one place.
The SMEStorage management allows you to also use a cloud storage location you have as a backup for another of your cloud storage locations. I backup my MobileMe to my SkyDrive cloud.
I am a layman Accordance user for the past 4 years and am still learning. The link to the video learning tutorials is great for my personal learning about how to better use Accordance. However, I am finding that sitting through some pastor’s meetings each month, that having to learn Greek and Hebrew might we good. With some many issues with the various Bible translations, about the only way to know what the Bible actually means is to know the original languages.
WOW, a lay person taking Greek and Hebrew; am I crazy or what?