524 – Phishing Minnesota Style
This week on WELSTech we are joined by Martin Luther College Network Services members Jim Rathje and Ken Jones to understand how they help faculty, staff and students stay safe from the growing threat of phishing attacks. There is also a lot of “browser” talk. Which do you use and why?
Podcast: Download (Duration: 56:52 — 52.1MB)
The interview and discussion:
Security superheroes – Martin Luther College Network Services Director Jim Rathje and PC guru Ken Jones share their best security advice with Martin and Sallie – “Don’t click that link!!!” Listen for how they’ve reduced phishing risk among faculty and staff with a very unique training method.
Sophos Phish Threat offer from ShopWELS
- $4.80 per user – 5 user minimum
- Contact WELSTech for more details
News in tech:
Picks of the week:
- Create Your Own Google Logo – a new activity at Hour of Code
- Firefox Quantum
James Veitch’s More adventures in replying to SPAM TED talk is an entertaining look at SPAMers, with a free toaster thrown in for good measure.
This three-minute Google for Education video, Stay Safe from Phishing and Scams, is a great first step to avoiding phishing traps. You’ll find both videos on the WELSTech Presentation/Teaching Videos playlist.
Coming up on WELSTech:
Episode 525 – Security month wraps up with a discussion featuring Prof. Rachel Feld on student security and privacy. Release date: Wednesday, November 29.
- Add a comment
- Send us an e-mail email@example.com
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.gapps.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – welstech, mspriggs and salliedraper
- Share with the Diigo group welstech
- Join the WELSTech community:
- WELSTech Google Group
- WELSTech on Facebook
- WELSTech on Google+
- WELSTech on Pinterest
- WELSTech on Instagram