Nov 2 2011
This week on the WELSTech Podcast shut-in ministry using technology is the discussion topic and we hear about Nebraska Lutheran High School’s firewall software experience.
Listen now or download Episode 208 (1:16:04)
Tech in shut-in ministry – Martin and Sallie explore ways that technology can assist and enhance ministry to members who are home bound and unable to attend traditional church services. Listen for discussion of recorded worship, Bible class and more plus ideas for sharing photos and tips for visitation tracking and mileage calculations.
(16:24) Safe Computing – We’ve got twice the brainpower behind this school network security discussion as both Greg Boggs, Owner of Quality Communications, and Joshua Johnson, Nebraska Lutheran High School Math Teacher and Technology Director, join Martin and Sallie to talk about SmoothWall, a firewall and filtering solution recently added to the ShopWELS program.
News in tech:
Picks of the week:
(46:53) Watch live video streaming of the WELS National Choral Festival on MLC TV
- Pops concert – Friday, November 11 at 7:00 p.m.
- Sacred concert – Sunday, November 13 at 2:00 p.m.
- (48:52) The Chromebooks in the Classroom and 1:1 computing discussion from last week’s show continued on the WELSTech listserve. Read the discussion from Luke Johnson, Jeff Clark and Joshua Johnson.
- Via the WELSTech Diigo group we learned about many links:
- Mind Map of Web 2.0 Tools
- NOVA video online
- Magisto online video editing
- Backblaze online storage enhancements
- DropBox for teams
- The latest issue of Christian Computing Magazine (PDF)
- Don’t sleep with your smartphone nearby (Do you??)
- Dawn Hennig from Christ in Zumbrota, MN wants to learn more about Intranets for congregational usage. Check out our past WELSTech episode on the topic.
- Brian Preuss let us know that Google Calendar no longer offers a Private URL option. It’s time to make “private” more secure. WELSTech listeners are invited to share their ideas for private calendaring.
- Laura Marsh and Drew Kock are enjoying the WELS Online mobile app for iOS and Android. How about you?
- Kevin Clafin is interested in podcasting sermons in his congregation. Here are some links to help you get started:
- From the WELSTech Wiki – Audio Recording and Audio Equipment
- Audacity – PC audio editor (free)
- GarageBand – Mac audio editor
- Add your podcast to iTunes
- Add your podcast feed to Facebook using RSS Grafitti
- Via our WELSTech Facebook page we heard from Lesley Bergemann of Good Shepherd’s in West Allis, WI. She is looking for ideas for using QR Codes in her congregation. And she also shared a link to Wisconsin Lutheran College’s Google Education Summit, happening July 9-13, 2012.
Coming up on WELSTech:
(1:08:30) Episode 209 – The Church of Facebook author, Jesse Rice, joins Martin and Sallie to talk about the latest WELSTech book selection. (Release date – 11/09/11)
The featured artist:
(1:09:03) This week we close with the instrumental music of flutist Jeannine Dennis - Mary Did You Know? from her CD titled ”O Holy Night”
- Add a comment
- Send us an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Share with the diigo group welstech
- Join the WELSTech community: