This week the WELSTech podcast we look at the set up of private, member oriented web sites.
Member focused web sites – Facilitating member-only online communication and collaboration is the purpose of a church or school Intranet. Martin and Sallie test drive a few Web 2.0 tools that could function as congregational Intranets and share some of the pros and cons of implementing this type of solution.
- Ning.com lets you create your own social network – Sample Ning network: welstech.ning.com – Login and test drive for yourself using these guest credentials:
- Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Password: guest
- Google Apps for education and non-profits
- Read about Joshua Schoeneck’s experience implementing Google Apps at Kettle Moraine Lutheran High School
- MemberConnect from Concordia Technology Solutions
- FinalWeb secure resources – Sample site – Login and test drive for yourself using these guest credentials:
- Username: guest
- Password: guest
(23:16) Member Connect – Brad Wheeling, Marketing Manager for Concordia Technology Solutions (CTS), joins Martin and Sallie to discuss their intranet and church managment software solutions. The CTS web-based solutions allow congregations flexibility in terms of where and who can make needed updates to information.
- Visit Concordia Technology Solutions online – cts.cph.org
- Learn more about WELS partnership discounts from CTS
Picks of the week:
(46:20) WELSTech & YOU! – The WELSTech 100th episode is just two weeks away and we need your help celebrating. Share your favorite take-aways from the show via any of the WELSTech communication channels.
- One lucky contributor will win a WELSTech Sigg Water Bottle
- Deadline for entries is Friday, October 2, 2009
- (47:46) Ryan Rosenthal from Faith in Fond du Lac, WI sharing info on upcoming SMART Board webinars.
- Pastor Jeremiah Gumm from Cross of Christ in Liverpool, NY is looking for equipment recommendations for creating podcast recordings of his sermons. Check out the WELSTech Wiki Audio Recording page.
- Following up on last week’s podcast, Sallie shared articles on partitioning your hard drive in preparation for the Windows 7 upgrade.
- Via #WELSTech tweets from Jason Schmidt from Gethsemane in Omaha, NE and Gail Potratz from Emanuel in New London, WI we discovered some amazing resources:
- Dissecting a Facebook Fan Page
- 14 Application Cheat Sheets & Posters for Popular Programs
- How to Become a Twitter Teacher in 23 Steps or Less
- SafeShare.tv for distraction free videos
- View a sample (ubercool Post-It Note stop motion) video via SafeShare
- AudioPal adds voice to websites for free
- How to Build a PLN (Personal Learning Network)
- Visit the WELSTech listserve archives for a discussion of educational cloud solutions including Google Apps and Windows Live @edu.
- John Shoosmith from Redeemer in Yakima, WA embedded a Google Street View of his church on his church web site. Check out maps.google.com to find out if Google has created a street view of your location.
Coming up on WELSTech:
(57:50) Episode 099 – Gail Potratz, our semi-regular classroom technology correspondent, joins the podcast to discuss the impact of the Google Books initiative on education. (Release date 09/30/09)
The featured artist:
(59:25) This week we close with the music of Revelation, a music ministry of Wisconsin Lutheran College (www.revelationwlc.com) – God of Wonders from their CD titled “We Walk By Faith”
- Add a comment below
- Send us an e-mail email@example.com
- Leave us a voice mail 414-375-2334
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Use the del.icio.us tag welstech
- Join the WELSTech community: