This week on the WELSTech Podcast The Church of Facebook book discussion continues, and Pastor Alan Siggelkow shares his observations of Christians usage of social media.
Our blurry social world – Martin and Sallie continue the current book discussion with a look at Chapter 4 of The Church of Facebook where author Jesse Rice compares the adjustment to this new socially connected world to a blind man who regained his sight after 45 years and didn’t know how to interpret all of the new visual input he was receiving. In a similar fashion, with no frame of reference for social media usage, it’s hard to know where to draw the lines in terms of privacy, relationships and time management.
(18:26) The Christian and social media – Pastor Alan Siggelkow, who serves as the chairman of the synod’s Committee on Mental Health Needs and works as a counselor for Wisconsin Lutheran Child and Family Service, chats with Martin and Sallie about the positive and negative ways that social media can be used by Christians.
(36:47) Claim your church in Google Places
Picks of the week:
(46:46) Coming up on February 1st we’ll unveil the very first WELSTech 7 Best list, and listeners can be part of the list creation. Simply let us know your favorite
Digital Bible Study Tools
You can tweet us using #WELSTech, write on our Facebook or Google+ wall, leave a voicemail (405-FOR-WELS), send an e-mail, mail it in on a carrier pigeon or whatever method you want to use. Just let us know what you think is best!
- (48:52) Dave Huep suggested listeners create passwords which remind them of spiritual blessings.
- Teacher Ryan Rosenthal from Faith in Fond du Lac, WI shared a link to 16 of the best Internet Safety Sites for Kids from iLearn Technology.
- Teacher Paul Patterson from Peace in Sun Prairie, WI shared information about a special from InfoCor on interactive StarBoards which work on existing white boards. Special pricing is $189 with coupon code 121911_StarBoardLink.
- Teacher Kurt Gosdeck phoned in an update from his 1:1 computing 3rd and 4th grade classroom at St. Lucas in Kewaskum, WI. Listeners may remember with interviewed Kurt on episode 203. Recent class digital projects include …
- Links shared in the WELSTech Diigo group this week include …
Coming up on WELSTech:
(57:51) Episode 219 – Next week on WELSTech we’ll hear from Pastor Tom Koch about online Bible study. (Release date – 01/18/12)
The featured artist:
(58:45) We close the podcast with the music of Corban Creek – Psalm 46 from their CD titled “Could It Be Me”
- Add a comment
- Send us an e-mail [email protected]
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Share with the diigo group welstech
- Join the WELSTech community: