115 – Has Printing Affected The Church?
This week on the WELSTech podcast Martin and Sallie discuss the significance of print media on culture and the church.
Podcast: Download (28.4MB)
A look back at the power of printing – Continuing their discussion of Shane Hipps’ book The Hidden Power of Electronic Culture: How Media Shapes Faith, the Gospel, and Church, Martin and Sallie turn their attention to chapter 3 with a look at the implications of print media on culture and more specifically on the church. Who knew that the printed word would encourage individualistic, objective, abstract and rational thinkers?
(20:50) WELS Deaf & Hard of Hearing YouTube channel – Sign language and close captioned videos of The Lord’s Prayer and The Apostle’s Creed
News in tech:
(22:04) Google Docs file storage announcement
Picks of the week:
- (24:11) Logitech Wave Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
- Connectify – Turn you Windows 7 laptop into a WiFi hotspot
(28:26) Announcing FinalWeb for Dummies web site training. Three days of face to face training focusing on developing, designing and maintaining your website with excellence.
- Milwaukee, WI and New Ulm, MN – March 9-11, 2010
- Saginaw, MI – April 6-8, 2010
- Attend any combination of days – one, two or three day registrations welcome
- $49 per day or $129 for all three days
- Details and registration at bit.ly/fw4dummies
- (31:01) Pastor Tim Wagner from Abiding Peace in Elgin, IL let us know that the Thunderbird 3 e-mail client upgrade doesn’t work with calendar plug-in Lightning causing him to uninstall the upgrade. The good news is a new version of Lightning has been released, and all seems to be functioning correctly now.
- Following up on last week’s WELSTech podcast, Pastor Phil Huebner form Christ the King in Palm Coast, FL shared a link to his blog where he publishes a Bible reading plan.
- Teacher Jason Schmidt from Gethsemane in Omaha, NE shared a blog post titled How to Embed RSS Feeds into HTML Web Pages which demonstrates RSS embedding using Google Gadgets. We’ve added it to the WELSTech Wiki Using RSS Feeds page.
Coming up on WELSTech:
(35:53) Episode 116 – We welcome back the official WELSTech semi-regular classroom technology correspondent, Gail Potratz, and the topic for the day will be photography in the classroom, including an interview with father-daughter team Pete and Cari Schlosser. (Release date 01/27/10)
The featured artist:
(36:48) We close the podcast with the music of Mike Westendorf, www.mikewestendorf.com – Follow mikewestendorf on Twitter – Be Still from his CD titled “Color Through The Gray”
- Add a comment below
- Send us an e-mail [email protected]
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Use the del.icio.us tag welstech
- Use the diigo tag welstech
- Join the WELSTech community:
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!