On WELSTech today we look at how ebooks are changing the way we read as we return to our current book discussion of The Shallows by Nicholar Carr. HymnSoft Version 3 was recently released so we talk with folks behind the project and take a look at the software in action. Also there is much to share in the Community Feedback mailbag including a fantastic video that was recently released by Lakeside Lutheran High School. Sallie is dingy, and Martin does something never before done on WELSTech. Don’t miss it!
The great eBook debate – Chapter 6 of Nicholas Carr’s The Shallows, titled “The Very Image of a Book”, is the topic of this month’s book discussion. Martin and Sallie explore the subtle and not so subtle changes that have occurred with the progressive use of eBooks. Which do you prefer – print or eBook format?
(23:06) HymnSoft Version 3 – Carl Nolte, Editor of Sacred Music and Worship at Northwestern Publishing House and Pastor Mike Schultz, Director of the WELS Hymnal Project, share a behind-the-scenes look at the newest version of HymnSoft which includes hymns and worship settings from Christian Worship, Christian Worship Supplement and Occasional Services.
- (46:15) Ryan Rosenthal from Faith in Fond du Lac, WI shared ideas for using Dropbox.com cloud-based file storage to provide resources for students and parents
- Share a helpful resource that makes a difference in your ministry, and you will ll be entered to win an Apple TV. Deadline for entry is May 31, 2014.
- (49:38) Control+K to embed a link
- Recent tabs in Chrome browser
Upcoming streamed Koine Christmas concert via WELS Streams – December 19 at 7:00 pm
Picks of the week:
- (1:03:22) Bible Screen
- Google’s setup app makes bulk Play for Education tablet activation a breeze
- Jason Schmidt left WESLTech-ers an audio invite to the upcoming Hangout On Air discussion of Google Drive scripts for education being held December 19th at 8:30 pm Central time. Join the WELS Google Schools Google+ community for access.
- PA Speaker Buying Guide
- Dangers of Using Public Phone Chargers
- Snagit for Linux
- 8-Bit Christmas Hymns from Tyler Larson
- Open Course Library
- Webcasting 101
- C13 Week 2 Advent Family Devotions
- From Lakeside Lutheran High School’s Videography class … The MOST IMPORTANT message!
Coming up on WELSTech:
(1:15:50) Episode 320 – Martin and Sallie talk mobile apps for ministry and more and Prof. Tom Kuster joins the discussion to share details on this year’s Christ In Media Institute worldwide mobile outreach project. (Release date – 12/17/13)
(1:16:20) Enjoy a free music download from WELS flutist Jeannine Dennis (jeanninedennis.com) – Silent Night
- Add a comment
- Send us an e-mail [email protected]
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – welstech, mspriggs and salliedraper
- Share with the Diigo group welstech
- Join the WELSTech community: