This week the next WELSTech Podcast book discussion kicks off and we hear about new digital products from Northwestern Publishing.
Grab your reading glasses – Martin and Sallie kick off the latest WELSTech book selection, The Church of Facebook by Jesse Rice. The book, subtitled “How the Hyperconnected Are Redefining Community”, looks at the effect social media has had on our lives and on the connections we make. Listen to a discussion of the book introduction, including a look at the strange occurrence at the opening of the Millennium Bridge in London, and grab a copy to read along with us.
- The Church of Facebook web site
- Available on Amazon in paperback, Kindle and audio formats
- Read online or download the Introduction and Chapter 1
- Survey reveals people would rather live without cars and light bulbs than give up Facebook
(12:22) NPH goes digital – Kurt Adams and Mark Buske from Northwestern Publishing House (NPH) join Martin and Sallie to talk about the recent addition of a variety of digital items to their product line.
- Peoples Bible on Kindle and Nook
- Wisconsin Lutheran Quarterly PDF (beginning January 2012) and Logos pre-order (1990-2010)
- Anytime Anywhere Bible Studies
- NPH on Facebook
- Additional NPH Logos titles
- (29:26) The Table iPhone App
- The Atlas Lens comes to the Glo app for iPad and iPhone
- The 10 coolest book apps for fall from USA Today includes The Glo Bible
News in tech:
Picks of the week:
- (34:40) WELS Stained Glass
- The “Windows” Key
- (39:50) Check out the latest issue of the ShopWELS Insider for information on great deals available to congregations, schools and individuals from a variety of vendors including Apple, Verizon and InfoCor. Subscribe to receive the newsletter via e-mail each quarter. Sign up at ShopWELS.net to take advantage of the special pricing.
- (41:13) WELSTech 200th podcast contest winner Jason Petoskey shared his appreciation for the Flip camera.
- Pastor Clint Rogas from St. Paul in South Haven, MI is looking for an audio solution to replace cassette ministry for shut-ins. The “catch” is it has to be easy to operate, which rules out most small MP3 players. Does anyone have ideas?
- Via the WELSTech Diigo group, we learned about …
Coming up on WELSTech:
(50:48) Episode 202 – Key to church office success is managing the ever-changing calendar of events. Tune in as Martin and Sallie share tips on effective calendaring. (Release date – 09/21/11)
The featured artist:
(51:50) We close the podcast with the instrumental music of In His Service (www.adagioconcepts.com) – Send Me from their CD titled “In His Time”
- Add a comment
- Send us an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Share with the diigo group welstech
- Join the WELSTech community: