183 – Security and Privacy and Fair Use, Oh My!
This week on the WELSTech Podcast we finish our current book discussion and chat with Greg Boggs about school privacy solutions.
Podcast: Download (48.9MB)
It’s a wrap! – Martin and Sallie finish up their discussion of the current book selection, Leading 21st Century Schools by Lynne Schrum and Barbara B. Levin, with a look at chapters 8 and 9 of the book. Topics include privacy, acceptable use policies, web site evaluation and the digital divide.
- Access archives of the complete book discussion
- Open DNS
- Covenant Eyes
- Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) on Wikipedia
- Sample School AUPs: Sample 1 | Sample 2 | Sample 3
- Fair Use on Wikipedia
- U.S. Copyright Office Fair Use resources
- A Fair(y) Use Tale video
- Kathy Schrock’s Web Site Evaluation Guide for Educators
- Online learning
- Tony Vincent’s Learning In Hand
- Digital Divide on Wikipedia and Edutopia
(21:45) Ask the expert – Greg Boggs, a member of St. Mark in Lincoln, NE, joins Martin and Sallie to share his experience with school network content filtering as well as wireless security concerns.
- (42:56) YouVersion in Glo
- Free e-book downloads on May 15th for Internet Evangelism Day – ieday.net/eb
- WELS Online in the Android Marketplace
News in tech:
Picks of the week:
- (54:36) Check out WELS live streaming schedule for the upcoming graduation and call season
- FinalWeb Training in New Ulm, MN and Milwaukee, WI
- FinalWeb for Teachers in New Ulm on June 27 and Milwaukee on August 1 – bit.ly/fw4teachers
- FinalWeb for Dummies in New Ulm June 28-30 and Milwaukee August 2-4 – bit.ly/fw4dummies
- (57:00) Joanne Nemmers, school secretary at Calvary in Dallas, TX, is looking for After-School Care management software. We suggested the open source solution, PHP Timeclock. Do you have a recommendation?
- Jonathan Favorite, staff minister at Crosswalk in Phoenix, AZ, suggested WELSTech model LifeHacker’s content delivery approach.
- Martin shared a promo video for the new CPH graphic novel, Echoes of the Hammer.
- Jason Schmidt, teacher at Gethsemane in Omaha, NE, shared a link to Haiku LMS (Learning Management System).
- Sallie shared several links for ministry usage:
- Sharing Stuff from The Table Project
- InfoGraphic-a-Day by David Warlick
- G.O.S.P.E.L. video
Coming up on WELSTech:
(1:06:45) Episode 184 – On the menu is “All Things Apple” as Martin and Sallie are joined by Apple Geniuses, Bob and Aaron, to talk about ministry uses of Apple products. (Release date – 05/18/11)
The featured artist:
(1:07:59) We close the podcast with the music of Kevin Loersch – Children of the Heavenly Father from his CD titled “Abide With Me”
- Add a comment below
- Send us an e-mail [email protected]
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Share with the diigo group welstech
- Join the WELSTech community:
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!