109 – Reaching The Technophobe
This week on the WELSTech podcast Martin and Sallie discuss ideas for reaching out to the non-techies in your congregation.
Podcast: Download (42.0MB)
Tackling tech fears – Has your congregation considered offering TSL classes – “Tech as a Second Language”? Martin and Sallie explain how patience and communication are key factors in turning technophobes into digital consumers.
- Welcome to the Web – Great Internet and computer basics lessons, kid-friendly but helpful for adults too!
- Wikipedia defines technophobia and technophilia
- For the teachers … A Few Simple Ways To Introduce Reluctant Colleagues To Technology
(16:06) Technology Malawi-Style – Missionary Paul Nitz joins Martin and Sallie from Lilongwe, Malawi to talk about the blessings and challenges of mission work Africa, and how technology is helping.
- Learn more about mission work in Malawi from the Missions blog
(36:04) Thanks to Nancy Thompson from Victory of the Lamb in Franklin, WI for tweeting several Christmas worship media giveaways:
- Worship House Media – 12 Days of Christmas
- Centerline Media – Daily freebies
- Muddy River Media – Christmas giveaways and an excellent $10 media package
- Tips for formatting video clips
Picks of the week:
- (40:55) Build a $100 Document Reader – a Do-It-Yourself dream!
- Foxit Phantom – a PDF Swiss Army Knife
- (46:24) Gail Potratz from Emanuel in New London, WI and Jason Schmidt from Gethsemane in Omaha, NE shared great resources using #WELSTech on Twitter:
- Apture.com – add multimedia to your site with one click
- The power of the PLN (Personal Learning Network)
- Dan Nommensen from Wisconsin Lutheran Child and Family Services is looking for tips for his e-newsletter. Check out
- The Newsletter Newsletter
- Try MailChimp for free – Learn how from WELSTech episode 089 BWTG: e-News with MailChimp
- Martin’s Glo Bible demo video is a hit!
- Mark Helman from Twinfinity Creations has the music of Susan Ann and continues to learn from WELSTech!
- Julie Duran, WELS webmaster, shared additional RSS resources for our WELSTech Wiki RSS page
Coming up on WELSTech:
(57:18) Episode 110 – Our discussion of Shane Hipps’ The Hidden Power of Electronic Culture continues with chapter 2: Perceiving The Powers That Shape Us. (Release date 12/16/09)
The featured artist:
(58:12) This week we close with the piano music of Dawn Gehlhar – O Little Town of Bethlehem from her “Christmas Dreams” CD
- Add a comment below
- Send us an e-mail [email protected]
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Use the del.icio.us tag welstech
- Use the diigo tag welstech
- Join the WELSTech community:
Thanks for the link to our site… we really appreciate it. God bless you, your gene pool, and your ministry this Christmas season.