This week on the WELSTech podcast green technology is the discussion topic and we hear from Office Depot representatives about available ShopWELS.net discounts.
An Eco-Friendly St. Pat’s Day – What better day to “go green” than St. Patrick’s Day. Martin and Sallie talk green technology (with a bit on green rivers and green cake as well) and share ideas to make your life and your church and school environmentally friendly.
- The definition of green computing from Wikipedia
- Power management tips from Climate Savers Computing
- CFL Light Bulbs in Plain English from CommonCraft
- Paperless newsletter communication with MailChimp.com
- USBCELL AA Rechargeable Batteries
- Green Schools
- School Composting Tips
- Do the Rot Thing: A Teacher’s Guide to Compost Activities (PDF – 2.5 MB)
- EPA resources on Protecting the Environment at School and at Work
(23:35) Save on Office Supplies – Joining Martin and Sallie today are Kathleen Wondolkowski and Julie Camp to talk about the many discounted services available to WELS groups and individuals through WELS partnership with Office Depot.
Picks of the week:
- (47:31) WELS will be streaming the Martin Luther College Chapel of the Christ dedication service on Saturday, April 10 at 7 p.m. Check out the agenda for the dedication weekend.
- Join Martin in Saginaw, MI for FinalWeb for Dummies. The three day face-to-face training will be held April 6-8 on the campus of Michigan Lutheran Seminary. Check out details and register at bit.ly/fw4dummies.
- (50:15) John Shoosmith from Redeemer in Yakima, WA shared his experience with YouTube’s new automatic closed captioning feature and the translation options it provides. Check out a sample video. Click the red CC icon in the player control bar to activated the closed caption feature and choose your desired language.
- Jason Schmidt from Gethsemane in Omaha, NE shared a link to 10 Google Forms for the Classroom.
- Ryan Rosenthal from Faith in Fond du Lac, WI tweeted links to Ten Free Web 2.0 Tools for the Classroom and 20 Online Tools to Make Learning Fun.
- Check out the recent discussion topics on the WELSTech Wiki including Organizing a Tech Committee and Fair Use Practices.
- Dave Heup uses KickYouTube.com to download YouTube videos like the American Pi song. Don’t you just love Pi Day? Google does!
- Perry Lund from Grace in Oskaloosa, IA shared a link to Squeeze, a Mac software pick for file compression. And he asked how to include WELS videos on his church web site. Check out the WELS video library at vimeo.com/wels and make use of the embed code on your site.
- Pastor Jon Guenther from Trinity in Marshfield, WI wrote to us looking for an e-newsletter solution. We recommend MailChimp.com, and we even have a Bonus WELSTech Goodness episode dedicated to the topic.
Coming up on WELSTech:
(1:04:36) Episode 124 – Next week is book discussion week. Read along as we talk through Chapter 5 of Shane Hipps’ The Hidden Power of Electronic Culture. (Release date 03/24/10)
The featured artist:
(1:05:01) We close the podcast with the music of Koine (www.koinemusic.com) – Crown Him With Many Crowns from their CD “Koine”
- Add a comment below
- Send us an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Use the del.icio.us tag welstech
- Use the diigo tag welstech
- Join the WELSTech community: