This week the WELSTech Podcast looks at school technology during a book discussion and an interview with Greg Schmill, Director of WELS Commission on Lutheran Schools.
Teaching and Learning With Technology – Martin and Sallie discuss Chapter 5 of Leading 21st Century Schools which looks at specific web-based tools and strategies that are useful in the classroom.
- Just joining the book discussion? Review previous chapters in the WELSTech Archives.
- Virtual Field Trips
- Learning Objects
- Open Source Initiatives
(16:06) Generations – Greg Schmill, Director of WELS Commission on Lutheran Schools, shares insights from his recent presentation titled Bridging the Generation Gap. He examines each of the generation’s needs and specifically how different uses of technology can assist in engaging Builders, Boomers, Gen Xers and Millennials in our schools.
News in Tech:
(37:51) The 2011 Consumer Electronics Show (CES) is history. WELSTech brings you the event buzz:
- Cnet’s Best of Show – The Motoroal Xoom
- Cnet’s Best of CES Awards
- PC Magazine’s Best Tablet at CES
- From The Huffinton Post – CES 2011 – 15 Awesome Products From the Future
Picks of the week:
- (40:12) iOS Apps for Productivity and Fun
- Create your own Andriod app with your RSS feed using Feed.nu
- Check out the WELS Podcast Android app
- (47:00) Nancy Marks from Immanuel in Missoula, MT repurposed the WELSTech QR Code contest for catechism students
- Larry Sellnow from Holy Trinity in Wyoming, MI shared his positive review of SnapGrades.com on the WELSTech Listserve
- Mark Jackson from Immersion Digital, creators of the Glo Bible, shared news that Glo was featured on the Windows 7 Slate devices at CES.
- Laura Schwertfeger is looking for software to create a church anniversary DVD. We recommend Animoto.com.
- Pastor Rob Guenther from Grace in Kenai, AK shared two Web 2.0 tools for distance Bible class
- Pastor James Borgwardt from Risen Savior in Pooler, GA wrote looking for a WELSTech recommendation of an e-News tool . We pointed him to MailChimp.com.
- Martin shared a link to an article reviewing the results of Maine schools 1-1 computing initiative
- Jeremy Provost sent us a link to a new iPhone app, Clean Tunes, for editing objectionable content out of songs
Coming up on WELSTech:
(58:40) Episode 167 – Administrators and office personnel will want to tune in as we discuss solutions for sharing files in the church and school office. (Release date 01/19/11)
The featured artist:
(59:56) We close the podcast with the piano music of Dawn Michelle Williams (www.dawnmichellewilliams.com | Twitter | Facebook | My Space) – Beautiful Savior With Canon in D from her CD titled ”Inspirations”
- Add a comment below
- Send us an e-mail email@example.com
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Use the del.icio.us tag welstech
- Use the diigo tag welstech
- Join the WELSTech community: