Tune in for a coding in education discussion on this week’s WELSTech. Jason Schmidt guest hosts with Martin and Sallie as we look at the trends detailed in the NMC K-12 Horizon Report 2016, and how the adoption of computational thinking across the curriculum might look in our WELS classrooms.
Coding as a Literacy – Jason Schmidt makes his 2016-17 season debut on WELSTech, bringing his own brand of sunshine to the edtech discussion space. Today we look at the New Media Consortium K-12 Horizon Report 2016 and specifically the short-term trend of coding as a literacy.
- Download the report
- Access the digital toolkit from the Consortium for School Networking (CoSN)
- Add Coding to Your Elementary Curriculum … Right Now
- Coding education in schools – Crucial as English and Math … of is it?
- Coding education rare in K-12 schools but starting to catch on
- Coding Starts from Your Imagination
- How to teach coding and programming
- A New Model for Coding in Schools
- Scratch & Scratch Jr.
- Computer Science Unplugged
News in tech:
- Education on Air – It Takes a Teacher – Free Google Education online conference December 3
- Hour of Code – Dec 5-11
There’s still time to participate, but these events are ending this week:
- Interactive Faith – What Does This Mean? with Rev. John Braun
- Gospel Outreach with Media – Fall 2016 Online Conference
Picks of the week:
- NETA Spring Conference in Omaha, NE – April 20 & 21
- A Plan to Teach Kids in Every School Computer Science
- K-12 Computer Science Framework
Coming up on WELSTech:
Episode 469 – Staff Minister Dan Schoeffel joins the conversation to share information on Internet addictions. Release date: Wednesday, November 2.
- Add a comment
- Send us an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.gapps.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – welstech, mspriggs and salliedraper
- Share with the Diigo group welstech
- Join the WELSTech community: