Things are changing on today’s WELSTech as we kick off our newest book discussion selection. During the school year we’ll be talking about a chapter a month of Nicholas Carr’s The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains. Also new this fall is a weekly tech tip from Martin and Sallie plus a renewed focus on ministry resources.
Book discussion kick off – It’s back to the regular WELSTech schedule this week as Martin and Sallie begin the discussion of this season’s book discussion selection, The Shallows by Nicholas Carr. Today’s discussion kicked off with a video overview of the book (6:15), and continued with a look at the prologue and chapter 1.
The author describes the change to “staccato”, internet-speed thinking, and the move away from deep comprehension. It seems that actually reading the book will be a worthy challenge to our digitized brains.
(21:02) We’re rebooting our Ministry Resources segment and looking for WELSTech listener assistance to share many tech-in-ministry ideas. Martin promises a prize drawing next spring for those who submit comments. Let the sharing begin!
- (23:12) How to change where Chrome downloads files
- Copy to Notepad (or your favorite text editor) to clean up text formatting
Picks of the week:
- (44:10) 10 Google Forms for the Classroom
- The People’s Bible from Northwestern Publishing House
- 10 Important Things for Students to Be Good Digital Citizens
Coming up on WELSTech:
(48:45) Episode 307 – Tune in for special coverage of the first ever WELSTech live event. We’ll bring you the best of the discussions and activities from WELSTech Camp 2013. (Release date – 09/17/13)
The featured artist:
- Add a comment
- Send us an e-mail email@example.com
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – welstech, mspriggs and salliedraper
- Share with the diigo group welstech
- Join the WELSTech community: