176 – Uh, I Forgot
This week on the WELSTech Podcast we explore memorization tools and learn about the new STEM Academy at Fox Valley Lutheran High School.
Podcast: Download (35.7MB)
Memorization tools – ‘Tis the season for confirmation examination, and what better time for Martin and Sallie to take an in-depth look at the variety of techie helps for memorization.
- Automatic Memory Work Quiz Generator by teacher Karl Henslin from St. Mark in Green Bay, WI
- Quizlet – online & mobile
- Memorize Now! – online & mobile
(10:56) STEM at FVL – Academic Assistant Principal Alan Nolte talks with Martin about Fox Valley Lutheran High School’s new STEM Academy. STEM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics, and through this new program FVL will be offering students the opportunity to take specialized courses in these fields over their high school years.
- STEM Academy at Fox Valley Lutheran High School (FAQ)
- Project Lead The Way
(26:22) Why churches and Christian groups should use mobile QR codes
Picks of the week:
- (28:28) Animoto
- Free accounts for educators
- Sample video highlighting Lutheran School Week events at St. John’s in Sleepy Eye, MN
- JotForm – Check out a sample form on Martin’s blog
(38:04) FinalWeb Training in New Ulm, MN and Milwaukee, WI
- FinalWeb for Teachers in New Ulm on June 27 and Milwaukee on August 1 – bit.ly/fw4teachers
- FinalWeb for Dummies in New Ulm June 28-30 and Milwaukee August 2-4 – bit.ly/fw4dummies
- (40:10) John Shoosmith from Redeemer in Yakima, WA shared links to an online PBS video, Martin Luther: Driven to Defiance, which is part of their “Empires” video series.
- David Schumann from Peace in Janesville, WI enjoys using freeware MuseScore for cross-platform midi music creation.
- From the WELSTech Diigo Group we learned of these links:
- Quiz Geo geography quizzes using Google Maps
- 5 Free Tools For Creating a Video Product Demo
- UploadingIt – 10GB of free cloud storage
- Zipcast from Slideshare
Coming up on WELSTech:
(46:55) Episode 177 – Gail Potratz joins Martin and Sallie to share her unique edtech experience. (Release date – 03/30/11)
The featured artist:
(47:10) We close the podcast with the music of Cross To Glory – Thy Will Be Done from their CD titled “Life’s Song”
- Add a comment below
- Send us an e-mail [email protected]
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Share with the diigo group welstech
- Join the WELSTech community:
Thanks for the talk on memorization tools. It was trip down memory lane for me. A similar program was one of the the first things I wrote on my TI994A in 1982 — so I could pass my memory work tests at FVL.