177 – A Tech and Learning Goldmine
This week on the WELSTech Podcast we review Tech & Learning magazine and talk with Rachel Malkuch about using tech tools for student evaluation.
Podcast: Download (41.2MB)
A magazine for today’s teachers – Teacher Gail Potratz from Emanuel in New London, WI makes her once-a-month guest appearance on WELSTech and joins Martin and Sallie in a discussion of the online and print magazine Tech & Learning.
- Tech & Learning subscriptions
- Top 10 Sites for Educational Resources
- A-Z Web Tools: C & D
- A Personal Learning Network for Parents – As PTO interest and involvement declines, these new ideas may be useful for making parent connections
- Going Digital … Ten Points To Consider When Transforming Towards Digital Curriculum – Covering such topics as the necessary infrastructure needed to support cloud-based computing and the importance of professional development for teachers
(19:55) Alternative assessment with technology – Teacher Rachel Malkuch (aleixa on Twitter and blogger at Learn for a Lifetime) from Trinity in Waukesha, WI chats with Sallie about her recent presentation to the Milwaukee-Metro Teachers’ Conference on the use of Technology as means of Alternate Assessment.
- Rachel’s blog post about her presentation
- Rachel’s presentation resources
- Principal David Schroeder’s podcast blog
(34:16) Release of the Glo Bible for Mac and iPad – Watch the iPad demo
Picks of the week:
- (35:42) knoword.org
- Facebook Friending 101 for Schools from the Cool Cat Teacher Blog
(45:21) FinalWeb Training in New Ulm, MN and Milwaukee, WI
- FinalWeb for Teachers in New Ulm on June 27 and Milwaukee on August 1 – bit.ly/fw4teachers
- FinalWeb for Dummies in New Ulm June 28-30 and Milwaukee August 2-4 – bit.ly/fw4dummies
- (47:21) Following up on our Office 2010 podcast, Martin found an additional set of training videos.
- David Schumann from Peace in Janesville, WI is looking for help addressing the needs of band-width impaired members and visitors who cannot access many of the resources on today’s web sites. How does your church meet those needs?
- Mark Blauert, a Staff Minister from Trinity in Crete, IL, is looking for all types of church web site policy examples. Check out this growing list of resources:
- WELSTech Wiki > Technology Planning (Add a copy of your site policies to the wiki!)
- Web Content Accessibility Guidelines
- Writing and Style Guidelines
- Content Management System Best Practices
- Web Privacy
- Password Policy
- WELS Webmaster, Julie Duran, shared two helpful links:
- In the WELSTech Diigo Group Jason Schmidt, Martin, and Nancy Marks linked us to …
- Adventure Learning from the University of Minnesota
- Google Upgrades AdWords for Non-Profits
- Password Safe
- Tom Hausmann and John Shoosmith sent in praise for the WELSTech audio quality, expertly produced each week by our audio engineer extraordinaire, Martin Spriggs.
Coming up on WELSTech:
(55:43) Episode 178 – A month of “April Showers” await WELSTech listeners, and first up is a shower of webmaster resources. (Release date – 04/06/11)
The featured artist:
(56:51) We close the podcast with the music of Mike Westendorf (www.mikewestendorf.com and mikewestendorf on Twitter) – Blessed is The One from his CD titled “Undefined”
- Add a comment below
- Send us an e-mail [email protected]
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Share with the diigo group welstech
- Join the WELSTech community: