124 – Flying Solo
This week on WELSTech we continue our book discussion of The Hidden Power of Electronic Culture.
Podcast: Download (34.1MB)
God’s Medium – The WELSTech book discussion of Shane Hipps’ The Hidden Power of Electronic Culture: How Media Shapes Faith, the Gospel and Church continues with Chapter 5, “Evolving the Medium and the Message”. Martin and Sallie share insight into the southern style Biblical Greek “y’all”.
Live from HIA:
(15:45) Technology in the airport – Sallie shares her impressions of technology from the Houston International Airport.
(17:07) 5 Harsh SEO Truths that Ministries Need to Know from Church Crunch
News in tech:
(21:33) Facebook now supplies fan page stats via e-mail.
Picks of the week:
(27:48) WELS will be streaming the Martin Luther College Chapel of the Christ dedication service on Saturday, April 10 at 7 p.m. Check out the agenda for the dedication weekend.
- (28:53) The HOPE School Scholar Ladies were featured on the CBS Evening News on March 17th. Listen to the WELSTech Scholar Ladies interview on Episode 120.
- Pastor Mark Parsons of Christ the King in Port Charlotte, FL contacted us with questions about hardware and software solutions for video and multi-media projection. Check out
- ShopWELS.net and
- the WELSTech Wiki > Church Media section > Video Recording/Streaming section
- Pastor Emile Burgess of Trinity in Caldonia, WI asked about internet safety resources for children and parents. NetSmartzKids.org for children and the companion NetSmartz.orgsite for adults are excellent. Also, listen to past WELSTech Episodes 011 and 072 on this topic.
- Jason Schmidt from Gethsemane in Omaha, NE tweeted a link to SmartKiddies Mathematics and let us know he uses Automator on the Mac to resize photos.
- Todd Boettcher sent us a paper on the FCC changes affected some wireless mics, and it’s posted on the WELSTech Wiki Microphone page. You can also read Martin’s blog post on the topic for background on this issue.
Coming up on WELSTech:
(44:34) Episode 125 – Gail Potratz joins the conversation as we talk technology in the classroom and interview Dr. Jim Grunwald about the Computer Education Technology program launching this summer at MLC. (Release date 03/31/10)
The featured artist:
(45:00) We close the podcast with the music of Kevin Loersch – O Sacred Head Now Wounded from his CD “Abide With Me”
- Add a comment below
- Send us an e-mail [email protected]
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Use the del.icio.us tag welstech
- Use the diigo tag welstech
- Join the WELSTech community: