157 – Synapse
This week on the WELSTech Podcast we return to our Leading 21st Century Schools book discussion and interview Synapse game developer, Carol Laitinen.
Podcast: Download (43.1MB)
Web 2.0 Tools for the Classroom – Martin and Sallie talk through chapter 3 of Leading 21st Century Schools, the current book discussion. You can catch up on previous chapters in the podcast archive. In this chapter the book transitions from a theoretical look at the education environment of today to a practical look at some of the leading software resources that students can use for collaboration, communication and creation.
- Backflip is dead
- Consider Backupify
- Google Earth
- Get the WELS KML file for Google Earth
(17:40) Teamwork at the Speed of Laughter – Carol Laitinen from St. John’s in New Ulm, MN joins Martin and Sallie to share the story of the development of her party game, Synapse.
News in tech:
- (44:23) Drop.io is dead
- Facebook Places – now for Android
Picks of the week:
- (47:40) OpenClipArt.org
- Xobni – Outlook plug-in
(52:20) View the live video stream of WELS Regional Choral Fest from Manitowoc Lutheran High School at wels.net/streams/live
- Pops Concert – Friday, November 12 at 7 p.m. CST
- Sacred Concert – Sunday, November 14 at 2 p.m. CST
- (53:22) Debbie Spriggs from Peace in Hartford, WI shared a link to online tutorials for PowerPoint in the Classroom
- Pastor Aaron Frey added a link on the WELSTech Wiki Bible Software Page to a blog post comparing Bible software packages titled The Status Quo Has Lost Its Status
- Tim Puhlmann, a member of Mountain View in Calgary, Alberta, asked about resources for developing online education, and we shared three possible platforms –
- Jason Schmidt from Gethsemane in Omaha, NE shared a link to MailVu.com video e-mail service
Coming up on WELSTech:
(57:49) Episode 158 – It’s “Office Administrator’s Week” again on WELSTech as we look at all things related to church newsletters and e-news. (Release date 11/17/10)
The featured artist:
(58:50) This week we feature the music of Koine (www.koinemusic.com | Facebook) – Built on the Rock from their CD titled ”Koine II”
- Add a comment below
- Send us an e-mail [email protected]
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Use the del.icio.us tag welstech
- Use the diigo tag welstech
- Join the WELSTech community:
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!