This week on the WELSTech Podcast we return to our monthly book discussion and have the special privilege of talking with one of the authors, Lynne Schrum.
Millennials and Gen Zs – In Chapter 2 of Leading 21st Century Schools by Lynne Schrum and Barbara B. Levin the focus turns to today’s students and teachers and the technology experience and expectations they bring into the classroom.
- Martin’s presentation – Can Digital Immigrants Teach Digital Natives
(13:20) A chat with the author – Lynne Schrum, author of the current WELSTech book selection, joins Martin and Sallie with tips for leaders to help them identify where they are in terms of technology integration and work within the various comfort levels of all types of teachers to provide “just in time” training on the tech tools of today.
(41:05) Google Translate Adds Latin
News in tech:
- (42:30) Facebook – The Social Network movie (Goofs) and private groups coming soon
- Reviewing the new Twitter
- Internet Explorer 9 in Beta
Picks of the week:
- (47:48) Dragon Dictation for smart phones (sample screen)
- Replacing Xmarks with a “cobbled together” 3-step solution that works-
- (55:52) Cindy Krueger from Shepherd of the Hills in Lansing, MI shared an article from TidBITS – Avoid URL Shortening Services for Business-Related Links
- Ben Martens from Calvary in Bellevue, WA asked about an affordable SharePoint-like solution for congregation intranets. Check out Google Apps for Non-Profits or simply a Google Site.
- The compostable Sun Chips bag (famously featured in WELSTech 123 – The Sound of Green) is dead
- Pastor Michael Johnson from Eternal Love in Appleton, WI wrote looking for ideas and direction on the issue of congregational privacy
- Gail Potratz from Emanuel in New London, WI shared a link to CIESE’s K-12 Online Tele-Collaborative Classroom Projects
- Martin shared links to several Google news items
- Sallie shared a few links as well
Coming up on WELSTech:
(1:12:47) Episode 154 – Office workers will want to tune in for next week’s discussion of all things volunteer related. (Release date 10/20/10)
The featured artist:
(1:13:34) This week we close with the music of Revelation, a music ministry of Wisconsin Lutheran College (www.revelationwlc.com) – You Are the God from their CD titled ”Led by the Light”
- Add a comment below
- Send us an e-mail [email protected]
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Use the del.icio.us tag welstech
- Use the diigo tag welstech
- Join the WELSTech community: