106 – One-Eyed Prophets
This week on the WELSTech podcast we kick off a new book discussion.
Podcast: Download (38.4MB)
A lesson from the classics – Martin and Sallie kick off discussion of a brand new book, Shane Hipps’ The Hidden Power of Electronic Culture: How Media Shapes Faith, The Gospel and Church. In Chapter 1, titled “Seeing But Not Perceiving,” the theme of the book is introduced as the author uses a variety of illustrations to show how the method or media used to deliver a message has an impact on the message. Planning for media usage should be done with an eye on both sides of the potential impact.
News in tech:
(29:15) Google storage price drop
Picks of the week:
- (30:24) Cloud Computing in Plain English from CommonCraft
- (37:10) Checking the pulse of the #WELSTechtweet traffic …
- Ryan Rosenthal from Faith in Fond du Lac, WI verifies SpellingCity.com includes pronunciation and uses words in sentences. He’s a fan of SkyDrive Explorer, the Everyday teen video series and Living Bold podcast devotions.
- Robert Faust used Twubs.com to track the #WELSTech hashtag on Twitter
- Nancy Thompson shared a free video clip from Igniter Media Group
- Sallie retweeted a sample Glogster project for religion class from Rob Jacklin (rjacklin on Twitter)
- Jeremy Johnson from Risen Savior in Milwaukee, WI will share iTalc with his congregation technology team and uses Dropbox and ADrive for cloud storage.
- Join the WELSTech listserve discussion on midi in worship
- The WELSTech public Google Wave continues to grow. Join by searching for “Calling all WELSTech-ers!” Send us your e-mail address if you would like a Google Wave invitation.
- Martin used the WELSTech tag on diigo to share a link to 19 Educational Uses for Google Wave
- Pastor Phil Huebner from Christ the King in Palm Coast, FL was inspired by Pastor Rob Guenther’s Google site (gethsem.info) and is developing one for his congregation.
Coming up on WELSTech:
(51:11) Episode 107 – Everything RSS is the discussion topic for next week. (Release date 11/18/09)
The featured artist:
(52:09) This week we close with Corban Creek’s Fly Away
- Add a comment below
- Send us an e-mail [email protected]
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Use the del.icio.us tag welstech
- Use the diigo tag welstech
- Join the WELSTech community:
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!