This week on the WELSTech podcast we celebrate National Distance Learning Week and talk with teacher Karl Henselin about free computer management software.
Online learning – It’s time again for our annual celebration of National Distance Learning Week. Martin and Sallie define distance learning in terms of student experience and needed skills, and they explore the possibilities for distance learning in a ministry setting. Visit our distance learning web page where we showcase all of the WELS distance learning resources.
(17:15) Managing your school computers – Teacher Karl Henselin from St. Mark in Green Bay, WI was a presenter at the recent Wisconsin State Teacher’s Conference and spent a few minutes with Martin to discuss free software tools for maintaining computers.
(28:55) Logos for iPhone/iTouch
Picks of the week:
- (32:52) Screenr.com– Web based screencasting with a tie to Twitter
- Watch the WELSTech site tour created with Screenr
- SkyDrive Explorer – Windows Explorer drive mapping for Windows Live SkyDrive
- (38:24) There were loads of great #WELSTech tweets from Ryan Rosenthal at Faith in Fond du Lac, WI, Jason Schmidt from Gethsemane in Omaha, NE and Gail Potratz from Emanuelin New London, WI:
- Visual display of classical music
- Automatic bibliography creation tools
- Download a free Mac Software package – available through 11/12/09 from MacHeist.com
- Web 2.0 Literacy Tools Master List
- Audioboo for iPhone/iTouch
- Jason Schmidt also shared a Diigo in Education presentation, using the welstech tag on diigo.
- Join the WELSTech public Google Wave by searching for “Calling all WELSTech-ers!” Send us your e-mail address if you would like a Google Wave invitation.
Coming up on WELSTech:
(51:35) Episode 106 – We’re kicking off a new book discussion, Chapter 1 of Shane Hipps’ The Hidden Power of Electronic Culture. (Release date 11/18/09)
The featured artist:
(54:54) This week we close with the music of Michael Schroeder (www.michaelschroeder.com) – The Beatitudes from his CD titled “A Witness”
- Add a comment below
- Send us an e-mail email@example.com
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Use the del.icio.us tag welstech
- Use the diigo tag welstech
- Join the WELSTech community: