101 – Help! We are Wave-less!
This week on the WELSTech podcast we focus on the powerful Bible study software tool, Logos.
Podcast: Download (40.7MB)
(3:15) Logos Revisited – WELS resident Logos guru, Pastor Aaron Frey from Emanuel in Tawas City, MI, rejoins Martin and Sallie to share the latest news on the software. Pastor Frey was previously on Episode 007 of the podcast and has since seen amazing growth in the Logos For Lutherans (L4L) Yahoo group which he created and administers. Listen as he shares tips he’s learned along the way, stories from Camp Logos II and a look into the future of the software.
- Camp Logos and Camp Logos II
- Logos Online – Bible.Logos.com
- Resources for studying in the original languages compiled by Pastor Dan Witte from Risen Savior in Lakewood Ranch, FL
- Logos Scholars Library
- Logos Scholars Library: Silver
- Follow Exetweet on Twitter
- (30:50) ref.ly from Logos generates short URLs for Bible references
- Logos Ref Tagger creates roll-over links to Bible passages on your web site
News in tech:
(33:33) Google Wave invites trickle down to the masses. Do you have one?
- Google Wave Gets Explained (video)
- Google Wave 101 from Lifehacker
Picks of the week:
- (35:10) DropBox for iPhone/iPod Touch
- Windows 7 BitLocker for data encryption
- (43:38) Pastor Rob Guenther from Gethsemane in Raleigh, NC is using Google Sites with Google Docs to power his member-oriented church web site – www.Gethsem.info. Check out his excellent “how-to” resources.
- Mark Ochsankehl commented on the Google Books discussion and recommended Project Gutenberg for e-books
- John Schoosmith from Redeemer in Yakima, WA sent us a heads-up that the copyright holder of the New International Version (NIV) of the Bible has changed to Biblica. We’ve updated our copyright page on the WELSTech Wiki to reflect the change.
- Perry Lund from Grace in Oskaloosa, IA was looking for a public Google calendar with the Christian Worship Lectionary. We did some digging, found iCal versions of the lectionary on the WELS Worship site, created the calendar and added a new WELSTech Wiki page with instructions and video tutorials for accessing, importing and embedding it. Thanks Perry for the great idea!
- Via #WELSTech tweets we heard from …
- Ryan Rosenthal from Faith in Fond du Lac, WI reminded us that anyone may read your public web site, not just the intended audience
- St. Mark’s Lutheran in Watertown, WI featured a recent blog post on the Communicating Christ blog titled Twittering for Christ
- Sallie shared a link to a Twitter in 60 Seconds video
- Jeffrey Clark and Jimmy Holub commented on the growing audio video needs around events. Jimmy even put a name to many of the “live reinforcement technology” components.
Coming up on WELSTech:
(54:42) Episode 102 – We wrap up our discussion of Clay Shirky’s Here Comes Everybody – Chapter 11 – Promise, Tool, Bargain. (Release date 10/21/09)
The featured artist:
(56:40) We close the podcast with the music of Kevin Loersch – The Lord’s Prayer from his CD titled “Abide With Me”
- Add a comment below
- Send us an e-mail email@example.com
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Use the del.icio.us tag welstech
- Join the WELSTech community:
I have a google wave account. Anybody else have one?