070 – Twitter…What’s It Good For Anyway?
This week on the WELSTech podcast we share ideas for using Twitter as a communication channel for your church or school, and we talk with Dick Diener about some interesting classroom technology projects.
Podcast: Download (31.0MB)
All Things Twitter – By now WELSTech listeners have undoubtedly heard of the popular micro-blogging site, Twitter. Martin and Sallie bring you up to speed on what Twitter is and more importantly on how this new instant communication channel can be leveraged for ministry purposes.
- Get started
- Create an account at Twitter.com
- Start following – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Twitter in Plain English from Common Craft
- The Ultimate Guide for Everything Twitter from Webdesigner Depot
- Church resources
- Additional Resources
(19:22) Integrating technology in the classroom – Martin and Sallie talk with Dick Diener, WELS member of Our Savior in Grafton, WI and Technology Integrator for the Mequon-Thiensville School District, about several interesting school technology projects. Dick invites WELS schools to be part of the international “Honoring Veterans” wiki sharing project.
- Japanese Friendship Doll podcast for the Milwaukee Public Museum
- Honoring Veterans Ozaukee County podcast project
- Schools are invited to post their veterans projects at honoring-veterans.wikispaces.com/share
New Technology Showcase:
- (42:35) Learn about Google profiles
- Google Friend Connect – www.google.com/friendconnect
Picks of the week:
- (47:37) Write Effective Headlines from Digital Evangelism Issues
- Vimeo video hosting – www.vimeo.com
- WELS on Vimeo – www.vimeo.com/wels
- Faith Lutheran Church in Sharpsburg, GA in HD on Vimeo
- (52:14) Live streaming graduation and call services – Schedule for May 15-22
- (53:32) Cindy Krueger from Shepherd of the Hills in Lansing, MI shared progress her congregation is making toward a facebook presence and passed along WELSTech ideas for summer learning to others
- Pastor Jeremiah Gumm from Cross of Christ in Liverpool, NY shared a link to 10 Things to Fix on Your Website from the Web Driven Church blog
- Following up on the interview with WELS musicianary Mike Westendorf, Mark Heilman shared a link to Twinfinity Creations, a consignment space for Christian art, music and books
- Recent updates on the WELSTech wiki (welstechwiki.wels.net) include
- Work by John Shoosmith from Redeemer in Yakima, WA on the Closed Caption Video page and the Congregations in iTunes page
- A new Technology Planning page to house ideas and sample church technology plans
- Ryan Rosenthal from Faith in Fond du Lac, WI shared a comment on his recent WELSTech Contest win, “Of course the real winners are my school and students because of the great ideas I have gotten from listening to WELSTech!”
- Gail Potratz from Emanuel in New London, WI left an audio comment recommending Switch from NCH Software, a format changer companion for WavePad audio editor
- Mary Raether from New Hope in West Melbourne, FL was looking for our past conversation on wiki tools
Coming up on WELSTech:
(1:04:19) Episode 071 – The discussion will center around chapter seven of Clay Shirky’s book Here Comes Everybody, “Faster and Faster”
The featured artist:
(1:05:28) This week we close with the music of Revelation, a music ministry of Wisconsin Lutheran College (www.revelationwlc.com) – Roll the Stone Away from their CD titled “We Walk By Faith”
- Add a comment below
- Send us an e-mail [email protected]
- Leave us a voice mail 414-375-2334
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Use the del.icio.us tag welstech
- Join the WELSTech community:
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!