May 7 2013
Since it’s confirmation season, today’s WELSTech focus is keeping teens connected to the Word, and we look at ways technology may be able to assist. We also talk with Brandon Steenbock, who is serving “in the trenches” when it comes to youth ministry. There’s Google news, missionary videos and much more packed into this episode.
Listen now or download Episode 287 (54:48)
Relationships and Connections – Today’s youth are more plugged in than any previous generation, but before you connect in a digital fashion with them, it’s important to establish a face-to-face relationship. Martin and Sallie share ideas for making digital connections and keeping your communication safe.
(8:36) Not Just an Event Organizer – Brandon Steenbock, Youth and Family Minister at St. Paul’s in New Ulm, MN, shares his experience with Martin and Sallie. From polling youth about their preferred communication channel (Facebook, Text or E-mail) to sharing video clips as discussion starters to engaging youth in summer mission trips, Brandon has had a variety of success in connecting with youth in his congregation.
News in tech:
- (28:00) Google Adds Remote Desktop to Hangouts
- Google Drive Desktop App Update Adds Right-Click Share
Picks of the week:
- (30:55) Fotor – Photo editor for PC, Mac, iOS and Android
- Western Digital My Passport 2TB External Hard Drive
(37:03) Check out the schedule of upcoming live streamed events including Wisconsin Lutheran Seminary and Martin Luther College graduation activities
- (37:55)Google Education Summit will take place June 16-21 at Wisconsin Lutheran College
- Use promo code “WELSTech” and receive a $200 discount on your registration!
- The first ever WELSTech Camp unconference will be held September, 14 at Martin Luther College. For details and tickets for this free day, visit our event wiki.
- (40:22) Missionary Mike Hartman from Leon, Mexico shared a video recap of the recent Greek Fluency Workshop he attended in Israel
- Summer #WELSed Twitter chat dates are June 13, July 11 and August 8
- David Schumann from Peace in Janesville, WI is looking for a free or affordable automated solution for telephone messaging to members. Anyone have experience or a suggestion for David?
- Via Diigo, we learned about …
Coming up on WELSTech:
(49:27) Episode 288 – This year’s book discussion of Presentation Zen by Garr Reynolds wraps up next week as we look at chapters 10 and 11 of the book. (Release date – 05/14/13)
The featured artist:
- Add a comment
- Send us an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – welstech, mspriggs and salliedraper
- Share with the diigo group welstech
- Join the WELSTech community: