Jan 14 2014
This week on WELSTech we return to our current book discussion, The Shallows by Nicolas Carr, with a lively discussion of the effects the Internet is having on our ability to get beyond cursory levels of thinking. Musicians will be happy to learn about this week’s ministry resource. There are tips and picks and events and teacher resources shared as well. And, for the first time ever, WELSTech-ers joined the conversation in real time using the Google Hangout Q&A tool!
One thimble at a time – Martin and Sallie debate the points of Chapter 7 of The Shallows by Nicolas Carr, titled “The Juggler’s Brain”. The Internet’s hyperlinks and multi-media coupled with our response to the often-times overwhelming stream of information by multitasking and power-browsing are rewiring our brains and interfering with our ability to process and store meaningful knowledge. Or perhaps it isn’t that bad?
- Jim Baur from Christ in Baxter, MN recommends OpenHymnal.org
- Share a helpful resource that makes a difference in your ministry, and you will be entered to win an Apple TV. Deadline for entry is May 31, 2014.
- Manage “waiting for” list in Gmail
- Microsoft discontinuing support of Windows XP April 8th – Good-Bye XP
Picks of the week:
WELS.net (and beyond) feature:
Defining Technology by Pastor Caleb Bassett, WELS Hymnal Committee Technology Chairmen
- WELS marriage retreats abound. Learn more.
- FinalWeb training at the Center for Mission and Ministry date change – July 29 to August 1
- Twitter Book Club for WELS Teachers – #WELSbkclub
- Mission Us
- Internet Toolbox for Churches
- Wildest Weather
- Tech Student Challenge
Coming up on WELSTech:
Episode 325 – Join us for WELSTech Live from Martin Luther College. Martin and Sallie talk with MLC students about their ideas for tech in their future ministries. (Release date – 01/22/14)
This week only, download a free music single from Cross To Glory (www.facebook.com/crosstoglory) - He Is
- Add a comment
- Send us an e-mail email@example.com
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – welstech, mspriggs and salliedraper
- Share with the Diigo group welstech
- Join the WELSTech community: