Sep 26 2012
255 – Are Chromebooks In Your Future?
WELSTech’s monthly education episode is back, featuring our periodic co-host Gail Potratz as well as an interview of Chad Kafka. The edtech flavor of the day is Google as we talk about Chromebooks and Google Apps in middle school settings. We’re also looking for beta testers of the new WELS Mobile app. Cap off the WELSTech goodness with instructions for creating your very own digital signage page!
Listen now or download Episode 255(1:17:58)
Back to School with Gail – Martin and Sallie are joined once again by Gail Potratz, Tech Coordinator at Emanuel in New London, WI and WELSTech’s semi-regular classroom technology correspondent, as we discuss the in’s and out’s of Gail’s recent Chromebook implementation in Emanuel’s 7th grade. Start up speed, battery life and a price point that can’t be beat seem to be reasons to give the Chromebook a serious look if you are considering a 1:1 initiative in your school.
(23:50) There’s an app for that – Chad Kafka (www.chadkafka.com), Technology Coach in the Franklin, WI public school district and Google Certified Teacher, talks with Martin and Sallie about his school district adoption of Google Apps, including success stories and tips for making the most of the solution.
- Follow Chad on Twitter (chadkafka)
- Helpful Twitter Hashtags
- Midwest Google Summit, November 11-13 in Wisconsin Dells, WI
- Google Apps for Education Summits around the world
- Google Teacher Academy
- Google in Education
- Google Educator Groups
- Franklin Tech
- Chad’s Mobile Reach Podcast
- Chad on YouTube
Picks of the week:
- (47:49) MapMaker Interactive – National Geographic Education
- Money Metropolis, Financial Football and More Money Skills Games
- Samsung Galaxy S III
- (57:44) In response to a WELSTech listserve question about setup and display of “digital signage,” Eric Paulsen from St. Matthews in Oconomowoc, WI shared his configuration, including coding, for a four-section informative web page. It didn’t take long for WELSTech-er Karl Henselin at St. Mark’s in Green Bay, WI to create a similar display page. Awesome!!
- From the WELSTech Diigo group we learned of
- Take a virtual tour of the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
- Google Art Project
- BibMe Fast & Easy Bibliography Maker
- Bitcasa – Infinite storage in the cloud
- Update your Twitter header – because you have more to show
- The Educator’s Guide to Copyright, Fair Use and Creative Commons
- Martin tweeted and +1-ed
Coming up on WELSTech:
(1:12:06) Episode 256 – We’re back with our latest 7 Best countdown, this time of Member, Prospect & Student Management Tools including software, tools, and tips for managing data in the church and school office. (Release date – 10/02/12)
The featured artist:
(1:13:03) This week we close with the instrumental music of flutist Jeannine Dennis - Celebration Medley
- Add a comment
- Send us an e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and salliedraper
- Share with the diigo group welstech
- Join the WELSTech community: