Apr 18 2012
Experience something different this week on the WELSTech Podcast, our first ever live show using Google Hangouts.
Kicking the tires – As promised, this week’s podcast was kicked off in a Google Hangout, and we have video of the experience to share. Martin and Sallie were joined by listeners Perry Lund, Gail Potratz and Jason Schmidt as we tried out the platform, experiencing video chat, screen sharing, apps and more (hmmm … pirate Jason??). The audio of the session is integrated into this week’s podcast, but if you want to see the Hangout fun and not just listen, check out the archived video posted below.
Picks of the week:
(31:01) Web sites done right – Mark and Lesley Bergemann, husband and wife webmasters at Good Shepherd’s in West Allis, WI, talk with Martin and Sallie about the communication strategy behind their church web site and updates they regularly make to support that strategy and track its effectiveness.
(52:06) Faith Building 2012 Conference – April 27th in Kimberly, WI
- A half-day workshop for church leaders and building committees planning or considering a building project
- Featuring Roger Ihde from ShopWELS vendor Northern Sound & Video speaking on “Acoustical, AV and Worship Instrument Consideration”
- Details and registration information (PDF)
(54:18) On the May 2nd episode of WELSTech we’ll countdown our next 7 Best list, and listeners can be part of the list creation. Simply let us know your favorite
Photo Organizing and Editing Tools
You can pin an image and link on the WELSTech Pinterest board, tweet us using #WELSTech, write on our Facebook or Google+ wall, leave a voicemail (405-FOR-WELS), send an e-mail, leave a comment on the WELSTech site, mail it in on a carrier pigeon or whatever method you want to use. Just let us know what you think is best!
- (55:16) Links shared in the WELSTech Diigo group this week include …
- Recent requests on the WELSTech Listserve were for software recommendations for
- Online appointment scheduling
- Computer management software
- Via the WELSTech Pinterest board we saw the inforgraphic 16 Ways Educators Can Use Pinterest
- Pastor Clint Rogas from St. Paul in Southhaven, WI is looking for a file and folder encryption and password protection utility. He’s checked out WiwRAR and jZip. Are there other suggestions?
- David Schumann from Peace in Janesville, WI shared a low-tech backup idea.
Coming up on WELSTech:
(1:01:47) Episode 233 – After seeing Gail in our hangout this week, Martin and Sallie are happy to welcome her back again next week as our semi-regular classroom technology correspondent to discuss digital story telling. (Release date – 04/25/12)
The featured artist:
- Add a comment
- Send us an e-mail email@example.com
- Leave us a voice mail 405-FOR-WELS (405-367-9357)
- Add to the WELSTech wiki welstechwiki.wels.net
- Contribute to the #WELSTech Twitter conversation
- Follow us on Twitter – mspriggs and welstechtrainer
- Share with the diigo group welstech
- Join the WELSTech community: